The 15 Minute Mobility Solution (and why sitting sucks)
It is pretty horrifying when you realize that excessive sitting alone can make you a poorly functioning human being. Sitting for prolonged periods of time significantly reduces an athlete’s functionality, and it is also one of the leading causes of chronic pain amongst the general population. In my own experience it has given me chronic lower back pain and chronic knee pain, which I am currently dealing with.
I have found this hugely debilitating, as I cannot do what I love doing – being an athlete. Sadly, I’m sure the majority of you have been in the same position. This is why I believe this subject is vitally important, you shouldn’t be inflexible/immobile; don’t settle for it, we are designed to be fully functioning human machines! Modern life drastically alters our natural biomechanics, making us poorly functioning humans beings – sitting is the leading cause of this problem.
Now, believe it or not there is a sexy side to this: following these mobility and flexibility drills will not only correct posture and prevent pain but they will also drastically improve athletic performance, give you a more balanced aesthetic physique and significantly improve your functionality. Let’s give you a brief overview of the long list of problems caused by sitting.
- Poor core coordination and strength
- Decreased thoracic mobility (kyphosis)
- Decreased hip mobility (particularly extension)
- Decreased shoulder mobility and stability (‘douche-bag shoulder syndrome’)
- Gluteal amnesia (glutes not firing)
- Head-forward posture
- Limited lumbar spine extension
- Tight hip flexors, hamstrings and calves
Now that’s a long list of serious problems, which will lead to pain, reduced power output, reduced speed, reduced strength, reduced endurance, reduced functionality and reduced agility. Not too good for athletes then… or anyone else for that matter.
Luckily the following 15minute mobility session will do you wonders! It’s designed to underdo all the hours we spend sitting and increase mobility. Trust me, you’ll feel like you have a new body after performing the drills. Here it is:
- Quadruped T-spine Rotation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAvFC9oF1Qk): 10 each side.
- Bench T-spine Extension (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4FIFUyxKNo): 8-10.
- Thoracic Bridge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9L0RIhR3s): 10-20.
- Spiderman Crawl with Rotation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvVj0VPG_e8): 8
- Piriformis Myofacial release (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfnAUsYUTI): 1-2minutes per leg.
- Peanut Thoracic Extension (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wux616nPQM): 2-3minutes.
- Posterior Chain Floss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4D8x0sj5o): 20 straightens each leg
- Anterior Wall Stretch: Push stretch or 3seconds hold or 2 seconds and repeat for 1.30minute.
These drills are specifically aimed at reducing the symptoms associated with sitting and increasing your mobility by targeting the movements and muscles that are negatively affected by sitting. However, there’s no better way to solve the problem than not getting into the problem in the first place, reduce your sitting time – its destroying your body! Please like and share. Thank you!